Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Engine up and running on XBOX 360 !

I have managed to get my new engine library running on the XBOX360.

Done some tests at 1280x720 (720p resolution) throwing around layers and sprites while playing 720p video and it seems to run above 60fps. You could potentially use a video as a background during your game but I wouldn't then draw hundreds of sprites at the same time with collisions.

One performance problems to note is text rendering. The text renderer is quite complex and can do some very complex formatting. There is a massive speed hit on the XBOX360 when drawing even the debug text. I need to investigate the possibility of provided some quick render options for horizontal/rotated text with no complex alignment issues.

I need to do a little more testing (especially viewport scrolling and automatic layer scrolling) and then I should be ready to put together a sample project to get a view alpha testers breaking things.

No comments:

Post a Comment